Since I’m out of the kitchen for a few days, taking care of a family health issue, I thought I would share another smoothie from Sprouting Zen’s Mindful Juicing Party. This time I decided to focus on the colour green. How many green items could I incorporate and still have the smoothie taste delicious? Green is normally a colour that denotes health but not necessarily sweetness. Could I do it?
Well, I’m happy to say that I think I came up with a winner! Kale, Romaine lettuce, a Granny Smith apple, lime juice, and matcha powder …….. add a banana and some dates and it’s hard to go wrong.
I’ve made the Matcha tea optional, but add it if you can, as provides excellent health benefits:
- boosts metabolism
- rich in chlorophyll
- vitamins and minerals including selenium, chromium, zinc, magnesium and Vitamin C
For more information on matcha tea, you can read it here.
I threw everything into the blender to get all the nutrition and fibre but If you’re particular about fibre in your smoothies, you could do the following:
- juice the kale, romaine and apple
- add the juice to the rest of the ingredients (except the water) and blend
- add water as necessary for desired consistency
However, I encourage you to try it “au naturale“, as fibre is part of a healthy balanced diet. And if you’re using the smoothie for a meal-replacement, such as breakfast, the fibre will make you feel fuller much longer.
Kale Green Apple Romaine Smoothie
A delicious green smoothie for a healthy meal replacement or snack
- 1 banana
- 4 kale leaves, ribs removed
- 2-3 leaves of Romaine lettuce
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced into eighths
- juice from 1 lime (or 1/2 of a large lime)
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon matcha tea powder (optional)
- 1 cup water
Put all ingredients into the blender, and blend until smooth. Pour into cups and drink immediately.
Food for Thought: “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” ~ Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey